couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Simon Woodhead <simon.woodh...@simwood.com>
Subject Re: Map/reduce and transactions
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:05:56 GMT
Hi,

Thanks.

The index in the banking example in the book will indeed grow as
> transactions happen. If you have a very high rate of transactions, you might
> want to do like banks do, and "close" each month, by moving new transactions
> to a new database file at the end of the month. Then you can do a
> transaction for each account to carry forward the closing balance at the end
> of the last month, to the current month.

After X months, you can throw away the old transaction databases, probably
> storing the monthly rollups somewhere for posterity.

We're already rolling up by month but would I be right in understanding your
suggestion to be that the rollups should be in a separate database? We were
thinking of another doc type in the same database to contain an opening and
closing balance. This enables us to roll-up but not throw away. I guess the
summing would need to be partly in app login if they were in two separate
databases?

cheers,
Simon

--
***** Email confidentiality notice *****

This message is private and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please
notify us and remove it from your system.

Simwood eSMS Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered number:
03379831. Registered office: c/o HW Chartered Accountants, Keepers Lane, The Wergs, Wolverhampton,
WV6 8UA. Trading address: Falcon Drive, Cardiff Bay, Cardiff, CF10 4RU.