couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Tim Rupp <caphrim...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: installing couchdb 1.0.1 will not override .010 ubuntu 10.04 install
Date Sun, 29 Aug 2010 19:44:38 GMT
In the config file

	/opt/couchdb-1.0.1/etc/couchdb/local.ini

Can you provide the directory listing of the database_dir directory?
Including the hidden files (there may be a .delete directory)

	ls -la

Interested particularly in the permissions of the files.

Also, and it may or may not exist, but if there's a file

	/opt/couchdb-1.0.1/etc/default/couchdb

It may have entries in it such as

COUCHDB_USER=couchdb
COUCHDB_STDOUT_FILE=/opt/couchdb-1.0.1/var/log/couchdb/couch.log
COUCHDB_STDERR_FILE=/opt/couchdb-1.0.1/var/log/couchdb/couch.log
COUCHDB_RESPAWN_TIMEOUT=5
COUCHDB_OPTIONS=

If you have this file, is the COUCHDB_USER value set to the same thing
that the permissions of the files and folders in your database_dir are
set to?

Are you running couch as root, userdan, or couchdb when you are
troubleshooting this?

-Tim

On 08/29/2010 02:13 PM, whimsica@aol.com wrote:

> [...]
>                       [{couch_event_sup,init,1},
>                        {gen_server,init_it,6},
>                        {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}
>        in function  gen_server:init_it/6
>      ancestors: [couch_primary_services,couch_server_sup,<0.33.0>]
>      messages: []
>      links: [<0.79.0>,<0.6.0>]
>      dictionary: []
>      trap_exit: false
>      status: running
>      heap_size: 377
>      stack_size: 24
>      reductions: 117
>    neighbours:
>
> =SUPERVISOR REPORT==== 29-Aug-2010::12:11:36 ===
>       Supervisor: {local,couch_primary_services}
>       Context:    start_error
>       Reason:     {{badmatch,{'EXIT',{{badmatch,{error,eacces}},
>                                       [{couch_log,init,1},
>                                        {gen_event,server_add_handler,4},
>                                        {gen_event,handle_msg,5},
>                                        {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}}},
>                    [{couch_event_sup,init,1},
>                     {gen_server,init_it,6},
>                     {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]}
>       Offender:   [{pid,undefined},
>                    {name,couch_log},
>                    {mfa,{couch_log,start_link,[]}},
>                    {restart_type,permanent},
>                    {shutdown,brutal_kill},
>                    {child_type,worker}]
>

> =SUPERVISOR REPORT==== 29-Aug-2010::12:11:36 ===
>       Supervisor: {local,couch_server_sup}
>       Context:    start_error
>       Reason:     shutdown
>       Offender:   [{pid,undefined},
>                    {name,couch_primary_services},
>                    {mfa,{couch_server_sup,start_primary_services,[]}},
>                    {restart_type,permanent},
>                    {shutdown,infinity},
>                    {child_type,supervisor}]
>

> =CRASH REPORT==== 29-Aug-2010::12:11:36 ===
>    crasher:
>      initial call: application_master:init/4
>      pid:<0.32.0>
>      registered_name: []
>      exception exit: {bad_return,
>                          {{couch_app,start,
>                               [normal,
>                                ["/opt/couchdb-1.0.1/etc/couchdb/default.ini",
>                                 "/opt/couchdb-1.0.1/etc/couchdb/local.ini"]]},
>                           {'EXIT',
>                               {{badmatch,{error,shutdown}},
>                                [{couch_server_sup,start_server,1},
>                                 {application_master,start_it_old,4}]}}}}
>        in function  application_master:init/4
>      ancestors: [<0.31.0>]
>      messages: [{'EXIT',<0.33.0>,normal}]
>      links: [<0.31.0>,<0.7.0>]
>      dictionary: []
>      trap_exit: true
>      status: running
>      heap_size: 987
>      stack_size: 24
>      reductions: 135
>    neighbours:
>
> =INFO REPORT==== 29-Aug-2010::12:11:36 ===
>      application: couch
>      exited: {bad_return,{{couch_app,start,
>                                      [normal,
>                                       ["/opt/couchdb-1.0.1/etc/couchdb/default.ini",
>                                        "/opt/couchdb-1.0.1/etc/couchdb/local.ini"]]},
>                           {'EXIT',{{badmatch,{error,shutdown}},
>                                    [{couch_server_sup,start_server,1},
>                                     {application_master,start_it_old,4}]}}}}

If you built it from source and everything is stashed in /opt/couchdb-1.0.1, then I'd imagine
there is a local.ini in the etc subdirectory, or some other subdirectory, of that.

> I'm assuming that you didn't remove the previous apt package yet either, or else you
have '.' in your path, because ./couchdb -c would be the command I would expect (including
the ./) otherwise I'm guessing you're calling the ubuntu supplied one which would explain
the configuration paths that are listed.

> So a couple things
>
> - check whether couch is running with ps and grep
>
> - find whether or not there is a local.ini in a sub directory of /opt/couchdb-1.0.1 and
if there is, check to see what the port and bind address are set to. Also set the log level
to debug and check the path to the database files (database_dir and view_index_dir) and make
sure the files in those directories are owned by the couch user.

>    that would eliminate the first guess
>
> - whats the output of /opt/couchdb-1.0.1/bin/couchdb -c ? My guess is a different path
from the files in /etc

> If after permissions and port checks it still doesn't run, run couch with the debug log
level and send the output of relevant log entries in the couchdb log file.

> If it's not specified, you can set the log file in your local.ini
>
> ex.
>
> [log]
> level = debug
> file = /opt/couchdb-1.0.1/var/log/couchdb/couch.log
>
> And if that doesn't turn on any light-bulbs in our heads, the next thing I'd do is strace
the process and see if the output reveals any other clues.