couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Barnes <mrtr...@gmail.com>
Subject Seamless view rebuilding?
Date Thu, 26 Aug 2010 13:40:26 GMT
I have a database serving documents through a number of intermediary
application servers, to the users' web browsers.

There are two mechanisms by which documents are modified;
a) Piecemeal updates as a result of user actions. (ie adding or updating
a record)
b) Bulk updates, typically from import scripts, that might modify tens
of thousands of documents at once.

The problem I'm having, is that when a set of bulk updates go through,
it can take a long time to rebuild the view indexes. Meanwhile, several
user's web requests will time out until rebuilding is complete.

Stale=ok is a simple solution to the bulk problem, but the application
servers will also expect to be able to update documents, and retrieve
the changes immediately after.

Is there a good way to avoid these large view update delays?

-Patrick Barnes