couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Eric Carlson <e...@ericcarlson.co.uk>
Subject Re: CouchDB Huh! What is it good for?
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2010 00:07:21 GMT
 Victor,

The CouchDB book, for all its glory, is heavily weighted toward
CouchApps. I recommend having a look at
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Basics, which lists interfaces to CouchDB
from many many programming languages other than javascript and friends.
If you do your image or audio/video processing in one of those (or
other) languages, CouchDB is readily available to be the document-based,
distributed/replicatable and scalable database that it is. As it says in
the CouchApp readme, 'CouchApp /is by no means the only way to use
CouchDB.' /It just happens to be way that is best documented in the
CouchDB book.

So yes, while I agree that CouchDB may be somewhat limited in what it
can do as a 'a true "application" development platform' out of the box,
CouchDB to me is about a lot more than thinking inside the box.

Cheers,
Eric