couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Nils Breunese <N.Breun...@vpro.nl>
Subject Re: Couchdb Test Suite Failing
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:53:30 GMT
I'm not familiar with nginx, but it might help if you posted your nginx configuration for CouchDB.
There's also an example on the wiki which might help: http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Nginx_As_a_Reverse_Proxy

Nils.

Alasdair Macmillan wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've had no bother running couchdb on my mac. But going into production now I have installed
1.01 on my webfaction hosted linux install. Now I know that they use nginx as a proxy in front
of apache and advise that you set up an 'app' (in webfaction speak) running at a custom port
and then run couchdb at that same port and it all works in the sense thatCouchdb runs from
the command line and futon runs too although sluggishly I feel.

> However, something is badly wrong when I run the test suite:
>
> basics, all_docs, attachments, compact, config, conflicts, delayed_commits, design_docs,
design_options, etags_head, oauth, reader_acl, recreate_doc, reduce, replication, show_documents,
stats, update_documents, users_db, utf8 all show errors (although which ones fail seems to
vary sometimes attachment_multipart fails)

> All the errors seem to be 502 gateway related:
>
> all the errors are:
>
> Exception raised: {"error":"unknown","reason":"\u000d\u000a502 Bad Gateway\u000d\u000a\u000d\u000a<h1>502
Bad Gateway\u000d\u000a

> nginx\u000d\u000a\u000d\u000a\u000d\u000a"}
> except for 'compact; which also has:
>
> Assertion failed: xhr.responseText == "This is a base64 encoded text" Assertion failed:
xhr.getResponseHeader("Content-Type") == "text/plain"

> One Webfaction support person said:
>
> "A "502" error simply means that Nginx fdid not receive a proper HTTP response from the
application that it is proxying HTTP requests to (i.e. your CouchDB instance). So, it is unlikely
that this is somehting specific to Nginx - it simply passes the request on and expects a proper
HTTP response. Most likely there is some misconfiguraiton on the HTTP side of your CouchDB
application. I would suggest that you verify that the HTTP server of CouchDB is actually running
on the port assigned to your "Custom app listening on port", and that you check the appropriate
logs of CouchDB for more information about what went wrong with the hTTP request."

> but another said:
>
> "Looking at your account, it appears that your couchdb instance is running normally.
>
> The error you are receiving does not appear to be caused by couchdb; rather, 502 errors
in general suggest that the back-end webserver (behind Nginx) is timing out and not responding
to requests. Database connection issues and other application errors usually respond with
500 errors instead. To solve a 502 error, follow the incoming requests and ensure that Nginx
is forwarding them to web applications which are active and listening on the appropriate port.

> So they don't seem to have a clue what is going on. I am trying to work out how this
all works. Can anybody help me understand what is broken and where. I have attached the logs
I have access to and they are here: