couchdb-user mailing list archives

From J Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: let me introduce myself .. Paul G
Date Sat, 21 Aug 2010 23:24:51 GMT

On Aug 21, 2010, at 12:06 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On 21 Aug 2010, at 08:47, Paul Gydos wrote:
>
>> Anyway happy couching y'all.  I get the feeling eventually this document
>> database platform will be more accessible and those funny words you all
>> decided to attach to your marketing won't seem so ironic to the REST of us.
>
> Welcome, Paul. :)
>
> This is one of the best emails I've seen on the list all year!

+1 you are exactly the person we're hoping to reach. however, since you are among the first
to walk this path, you'll have to be a trailblazer for those who come later.

regarding the JavaScript and REST tech jargon, you oughta see what the less relaxing toolkits
out there sound like when they talk shop. :)

thanks so much for introducing yourself to us. We'll do our best to help you over the stumbling
blocks. It can be a bit of a challenge for the more experienced among us to help people like
you, because not only are we teaching you CouchDB, we're teaching you how to program as well.
thanks for reminding us of that.

in the long run, we hope to see tools that mean you can get basic tasks done without programming.
who knows what the long run is... Damien started this project in 2005 and 5 years later we
are finally at 1.0, so let me assure you that we'll keep pushing forward and someday (hopefully
sooner than 5 years from now) we'll have tools and documentation that can help a non-programmer
have fun storing and retrieving the data that they care about. Until then, hang on to your
hat!

Welcome,

Chris

> If we manage to keep you interested in the project via the mailing list, I'd love to
see some write-ups of your experience once you're feeling more confident with the software.
It could be really handy for other new users. Most of the existing documentation has been
written by experienced developers, and I agree that it would be fantastic to address the balance
a little bit.