couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jon Brisbin <...@jbrisbin.com>
Subject Scala view server?
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:26:18 GMT
I'm looking at the scouchdb Scala view server and trying to write my own version that doesn't
compile arbitrary Scala code but simply links to existing, pre-compiled classes. I have a
question about the way view servers work, though:

Does each view create its own command process (and thus JVM)?

I started down a garden path of using Akka remote actors to link the view server calls to
objects that actually perform the work but I'm noticing that an "add_fun" call doesn't say
what view its associated with, so I have to assume that each view instantiates its own JVM,
helper objects, etc...

Does it call the command-line I give it (right now a Bash script that calls my Scala class)
for every request of the view or does it reuse processes already started (like pooling)?

The more I get into this, the less feasible it seems to tie some JVM-based view language to
Couch and still keep it performant.

What about the Erlang to Java bridge (JInterface)? Could this be used instead of the command-line
style view server to hook into a long-running JVM process (like Akka remote Actors)?

Thanks!

J. Brisbin
http://jbrisbin.com/