couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Compaction without Diskspace
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2010 00:10:20 GMT
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 14:41, J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2010, at 2:36 PM, Michael wrote:
>
>> So the next question is, how do I keep this under control? I think to keep
>> myself sane I will probably write a script that checks the size of the
>> database and if it exceeds a certain size the script will compact the
>> database. Is there an automatic way to do this? Anyone have any best
>> practices? When the wiki says "near full capacity for its write load" how do
>> I measure what full capacity is?
>
> if you are importing every few minutes, you are not anywhere near full write-throughput
capacity, so compact whenever you feel like it.

> in the future we'd like to add some form of auto compaction, but it's not around yet.

If you can come up with some heuristic that works for you then use it.

In your case this may be premature advice, but I'll take the
opportunity to share it with the list.
My personal recommendation from experience with relatively large
couches is to provision for your heaviest write load plus compaction.
Consider that your databases may reach a size where they cannot be
compacted during times of low load simply because a full compaction
cycle will take a very long time. Plan for compaction to be always
running and you will always be in the clear.

-Randall