couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Avi Flax <a...@arc90.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org
Date Sun, 11 Jul 2010 20:54:45 GMT
On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 16:47, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:

> There's an awful lot going on there. I understand that it is making a point, but I think
that amount of visual clutter on the front page would be terribly distracting.

I totally hear you. Mikeal's original idea was simply to have a
browser and Couch. But I think it's important to illustrate that any
application, programming language, etc, can interface with Couch, it's
a big part of its appeal. I first tried to find a simpler way to
represent the concept of an application "tier"… I searched for photos
and illustrations of gears and engines. But I had a hard time finding
freely usable images which didn't require attribution, so I gave up
and went with the word cloud idea. If we wouldn't mind adding an
attribution line to the bottom of the page, we could try using an
illustration.

Would it be worth trying keeping the names of those various
technologies, but organizing them in a neater, simpler, cleaner way?
AKA not a word cloud?

Anyway, I'd be happy to try any suggestions.

Or, if the group doesn't think this is worth pursuing, we can just drop it.