couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Michael <newmani...@gmail.com>
Subject Compaction without Diskspace
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2010 21:36:04 GMT
Hello everyone;

I am new to this list and to Couch.

For my first real test with Couch I created a database which was updated via
another service every 5 minutes. I guess i didn't realize how much data I
was taking in, because I got distracted and came back to the server and the
couch database had grown large enough to fill all the disk space.

Clearly, I can delete the database manually, recover my disk space and fix
everything, but I am learning, so bear with me.

I seem to have found bug 808 [1] while trying to compact the database. This
makes Couchdb unresponsive. Is there an easy way to manually compact the
database, perhaps specifying a mount which has more disk space?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-808

So the next question is, how do I keep this under control? I think to keep
myself sane I will probably write a script that checks the size of the
database and if it exceeds a certain size the script will compact the
database. Is there an automatic way to do this? Anyone have any best
practices? When the wiki says "near full capacity for its write load" how do
I measure what full capacity is?

Thanks for the help. I am really enjoying Couch, it feels right,

Michael