couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Filipe David Manana <fdman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:03:35 GMT
On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 11:41 PM, J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 11, 2010, at 3:30 PM, David Coallier wrote:
>
> > Hey everyone,

> >> Thinking better, having only names of programming languages (Perl, Ruby,
> >> etc) and platforms (.NET, Java, etc) might give the wrong idea that
> Apache
> >> CouchDB provides libraries for all those languages and platforms.  All
> the
> >> existing libraries are third party.
> >>

> > Here are some scribbles I've done on Friday and some things (From
> > crazy to boring) that I've thought of and I'm starting to learn
> > towards the utterly simple graph.
> >

> I think we need to focus on the things CouchDB can do that others can't.
>
> That means:
>

> p2p Replication / sync
>
> Running on Mobile Devices
>
> Queries against heterogenous data
>
> (something I'm missing?)

Give a more clear message about CouchApps.
Most people I have talked to, had a hard time trying to understand what
CouchApps are (and why do CouchApps) and immediately ask for examples.

Somehow, by just mentioning only HTTP REST interface and JSON people don't
realize the possibilty of applications hosted in CouchDB without a middle
tier (web or app server).
We need, imho, to give yet more emphasis on CouchApps.

--
Filipe David Manana,
fdmanana@apache.org