couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Mark J. Reed" <markjr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: scheduled tasks
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:28:53 GMT
The "fun and ease of Python" is not at issue here.  Glad you're having
fun programming in your favorite language, but it's not as if you can
just do 'from scheduler import magic' and be done.

The point is, cron didn't work for you because you wanted sub-minute
precision and automatic overlap prevention.
For folks who don't need those things, cron is a viable solution.
Either way, whether you're writing your own scheduler or writing the
scripts to be run out of one, you can use whatever language you like;
one of the goals of Couch is to be language-agnostic.  As long as you
have JSON and HTTP libraries for it, you can even code in Fortran...

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Sivan Greenberg <sivan@omniqueue.com> wrote:
> Hi Nils,
>
> I am using Python to have 2 separate background process that:
> 1) Replication connections are working/ restart/ fix if needed
> (including wrapper SSH tunnels).
> 2) Conflict resolution that is triggered by the _changes feed,
> asynchronous and parallelized.
>
> I've also used CouchDBKit to manage CouchDB from Python.
>
> Doing the response/fix logic in a cron triggered script proved
> problematic for me, so I went and added my own scheduling bits, on the
> way enabling sub-minute precision quite easily, attributing to the fun
> and ease of Python. (Scheduling being mostly while loops with
> configurable sleep intervals, at its simplest form, and time/date
> based sleeps)
>
> Being able to suspend interval triggered execution until a previous
> run came back, without having to use locking or flag files and such as
> when using cron, was a breeze.
>
> I guess that is "different" not better perhaps.
>
> -Sivan
>
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Nils Breunese <N.Breunese@vpro.nl> wrote:
>> Python is a programming language, not a scheduler. (Although I'm sure there are scheduler
libraries and things like that for Python.) What do you mean by 'works better than cron'?
Yes, if you need sub-minute precision you'll need to look elsewhere since cron doesn't support
that, but otherwise I wouldn't go and write code to do what a scheduler like cron already
provides (and it's usually already running anyway).

>> We're actually using a Python script (using couchdbkit) run by cron for our CouchDB
maintenance needs.

>> Nils.

bedoeld voor gebruik door de geadresseerde en kan vertrouwelijke informatie bevatten. Openbaarmaking,
vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding en/of verstrekking van deze informatie aan derden is voorbehouden
aan geadresseerde. De VPRO staat niet in voor de juiste en volledige overbrenging van de inhoud
van een verzonden e-mail, noch voor tijdige ontvangst daarvan.

--
Mark J. Reed <markjreed@gmail.com>