couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2010 07:08:05 GMT
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 08:52, afters <afters.mail@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think your main goal here is to figure out what messages the website is
>> intended to send, and to what audiences. As for the design: form follows
>> function.

agree. some thoughts to share on that note;

as a newcomer to couchdb what attracted me was:
- the logo - is there another DB out there with such a cool logo?
- the videos :-)
- replication is so easy
- crash-safe design & simple model for backup/recovery
- straightforward conceptual model to work with - REST, JSON,
- futon interface makes it so quick to get started

these made it really easy to work with - it's like having the data
directly in your hands
- simplicity of model - e.g. middleware not necessary
- curl / http access
- schema-free
- native JSON storage
- couchapp for loading both data & ddocs

what complicated it:
- differences in the book vs trunk - examples and templates in
particular can really slow you down
- changeover to mustache.js - there are probably a few people like me
lurking who simply are unable to figure out how to make this work in
server or client side mode
- evently if you're not already a javascript person - give me 6 months
& I'll be OK but it's a steep learning curve from ground zero
- map/reduce - this takes a bit of getting used to, but when you
understand it the logic is clear - how did we ever manage this on
traditional RDBMS..

cheers
Dave