couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:52:21 GMT

On 12 Jul 2010, at 12:37, Noah Slater wrote:

> It is starting to concern me that we're trying to design the site by committee. And design
by committee is a terrible way to achieve anything with cohesion. I'm not sure what to do
though.

> The ideal solution would be for us to appoint a designer/webmaster who's sole responsibility
was the design and maintenance of the site. This person could then take guidance from the
community on what should be included, and what we'd like on the site - but would be free to
call the shots, and ultimately decide how things were going to look.

> Does anyone have any ideas how we can move towards this, and away from the current situation?
Having a bunch of geeks (and we're hardly known for our design prowess in the first place,
right?) argue about what should and should not be included will lead us head first into the
kind of open source website we all know and hate.

Very much +1 on all Noah said.

To keep things moving, I'd be happy to volunteer to play benevolent dictator for the site
and work with proper designer and community input.

Cheers
Jan