couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Lowry, Matthew" <Matthew.Lo...@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Subject RE: Can I get just the keys from a view? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 04:33:01 GMT
Jarrod Roberson stated:
> don't emit the keys as part of the view, just emit null.

I am capable of recognising such a trivial and obvious work-around. If
you re-read my post, you may notice that I didn't ask for advise on a
work-around. I asked whether I'd missed something in the API.

That said, "just write an emit(key,null) view" is not a general
solution. It assumes I'm writing the views - I'm not. And even if I
were, it supposes that I am happy to manually create an emit(key,null)
variant of every view for which I am interested in getting the set of
keys. And then keep that in sync with any changes made to the "real"
view. And I'm not happy to do that, since it seems to me the view API
should support it (if it's a good idea for the document API, surely it's
a good idea for the view API?)

> [...snip...] Especially when they can't even spell the word Defense.
:-)

I'm Australian. I can spell defence. 'Tis you, sir, that can not. :)
Also, that stupid meaningless disclaimer gets tacked onto my emails
whether I like it or not. :(
And the stupid [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] that I need to append to the subject
line to coax the mail agent into allowing the email outside the firewall
doesn't get stripped even though it should. :(

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence and is subject to
the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914. If you have received this email in
error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.