couchdb-user mailing list archives

From J Chris Anderson <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Anyone ETA on fixing push replication?
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 04:33:06 GMT

On Jun 9, 2010, at 8:41 PM, Bharat Bharat wrote:

> I find push replication very very buggy for 2 reasons:
>
> - Very high failure rate for replication across different subnet.
> - Inflates target DB size to almost like 10 times.
>
> For my exact test scenarios, pull replication works flawlessly and push fails like almost
every time. Couchdb itself recommends pull replication over push. This however leads to another
problem that you have to log in to your target DB instances to trigger pull(or use curl to
specify source and target urls). I think the problem starts when you try to specify a URL
instead of just DB name in the target body.

> curl -X POST -d '{"source":"db","target":"http://10.1.1.1:5984/db2"}' http://localhost:5984/_replicate
>
> I was wondering if there is some sort of fix/patch out there or any plan to fix this
in upcoming releases?

> Thanks very much

Yes, these problems are well known. There's been lots of work going into the replication APIs
for the next release.

You might try trunk and see if it's better for you.

And Damien is working on a brand new replicator, which should be much simpler code, so for
1.1 or some future release we'll have licked this stuff for good.

Chris