couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dirkjan Ochtman <>
Subject Re: Fedora js-devel
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2010 13:51:42 GMT
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 15:32, Wendall Cada <> wrote:
> While doing some preliminary research on building a couchdb rpm, I
> discovered that Fedora/Centos/RedHat couchdb rpms are built against
> js-devel-0.70.

You mean 1.7.0?

> As can be seen here:
> $ js -v
> JavaScript-C 1.7.0 2007-10-03
> I am quite shocked that it is being built against something so ancient.
> xulrunner-devel is at on my fc13 workstation.

It's a known problem that no stand-alone SpiderMonkey has been
released for quite a while.

On the other hand, I don't think XULRunner versions directly relate to
SpiderMonkey versions the way you imply.

> The question is, how much of a performance hit is there using this very old
> and outdated js lib?

I think tests with SpiderMonkey 1.8 weren't conclusive about the
performance benefit, so I wouldn't worry too much (but people might
correct me on this).

View raw message