couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Luke Driscoll <>
Subject Complex Keys and Ranges
Date Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:46:44 GMT
I'm sorry if this question has been answered before, but I took a look at
the archives and couldn't find the answer that quite covers it.

I have a complex key of
[year, month, "user name", "platform", day]

The reason that I did it this way (put day at the end) is because I need to
be able to reduce to a group level of "year, month" as well as "year, month,
user", "year, month, user, platform" and "year, month, user, platform, day".
 And I didn't want to create multiple views because the data are the same

Now, when I search for date ranges like this:
startkey = [2010, 05, "", "", 1], endkey = [2010, 05, "\u9999", "\u9999",
it gives me the results for the whole of May, rather than just the first
twelve days.

However, if I remove the "platform" from the key and search
startkey = [2010, 05, "", 1], endkey = [2010, 05, "\u9999", 12]
it works as expected.

Can you give me some pointers as to what I'm doing wrong, or give me some
suggestions as to how to do this better.

Thanks in advance,