couchdb-user mailing list archives

From afters <afters.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting reduce overflow error
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 18:18:08 GMT
On 17 June 2010 20:51, J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2010, at 10:49 AM, afters wrote:
> > Is it correct that reductions spread up the b-tree only as high as needed
> > satisfy the group-level demands?
>
> No. Because the group_level isn't known until query time, the index is the
> same regardless of how you query it. So all reduce functions should be
> designed to work properly without grouping.

In case the updating of the view were made solely on read, would there still
be a need to propagate reduce to the nodes higher than what was asked for?

Anyway, that's beside my scaling issue (and my area of expertise). I think a
separate query for the text is appropriate and won't be too hard to
implement.