couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Norman Barker <norman.bar...@gmail.com>
Subject using gzip for db and view indexes
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 22:00:01 GMT
Hi,

I am looking at the couchdb db database and view index directory and I
see the files are saved as binary, my indexes and database are getting
fairly large so I tried gzipping them (by hand) and it made a big
difference (at least for my data).

Looking at

http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/file.html

I see that compressed is an option when reading or writing a file, is
it worth trying this out, could it be an option in the ini file so we
could trade off database size versus a possible lag in access?

I can do look into this, does everything go through the couch_file
module and is there a suitable test dataset that we can analyse
performance with?

thanks,

Norman