couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paweł Stawicki <pawelstawi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lost access to configuration
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 22:55:35 GMT
Thanks Chris for all your explanations.

> Normal user passwords are in the user db, but admin user passwords are stored in the
config.

So how can I create non-admin user? I can create SHA1 of his password
and create this user by hand in _users db, but how can I know what is
the "salt"? I must be missing something, but I don't know what.

--
Paweł Stawicki
http://pawelstawicki.blogspot.com

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 23:16, J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 28, 2010, at 12:38 PM, Paweł Stawicki wrote:
>
>> Ok, this works after I set require_valid_user = false in
>> /etc/couchdb/local.ini. But what if I want this option to be turned
>> on? When it's on, I can't even see "Login" link. Seems like it's also
>> restricted. I am getting 3 error messages:
>>
>> "An error occurred retrieving/updating the server configuration:
>> Authentication required."
>> "Server information could not be retrieved: Authentication required."
>> "An error occurred getting session info: Authentication required."
>>

> Did some looking into it:
>
> require_valid_user = true means that you have to configure CouchDB specially to use something
like the proxy_authentification_handler, so that some other software can craft the userCtx.
This means that there is not currently a way to login to a CouchDB that is set to have require_valid_user
= true (because you can't access any of the APIs or resources required to login).

> This is a bug, but not a straightforward one to fix. Here is the Jira ticket:

>> And even with require_valid_user = false, how can I login outside of
>> futon? E.g. if I want to operate on database via HTTP by curl?
>>
>> I also want to ask where user's password is kept? I created more
>> admins by clicking "Setup more admins" next to login link in futon.
>> Let's call created user "sam". Then I went to
>> http://localhost:5984/_users/org.couchdb.user:sam and there is no
>> "password_sha1" field, nor "salt" field.
>>

>> Best regards
>> --
>> Paweł Stawicki
>> http://pawelstawicki.blogspot.com