couchdb-user mailing list archives

From J Chris Anderson <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lost access to configuration
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:16:46 GMT

On Jun 28, 2010, at 12:38 PM, Paweł Stawicki wrote:

> Ok, this works after I set require_valid_user = false in
> /etc/couchdb/local.ini. But what if I want this option to be turned
> on? When it's on, I can't even see "Login" link. Seems like it's also
> restricted. I am getting 3 error messages:
>
> "An error occurred retrieving/updating the server configuration:
> Authentication required."
> "Server information could not be retrieved: Authentication required."
> "An error occurred getting session info: Authentication required."

Did some looking into it:

require_valid_user = true means that you have to configure CouchDB specially to use something
like the proxy_authentification_handler, so that some other software can craft the userCtx.
This means that there is not currently a way to login to a CouchDB that is set to have require_valid_user
= true (because you can't access any of the APIs or resources required to login).

This is a bug, but not a straightforward one to fix. Here is the Jira ticket:

> And even with require_valid_user = false, how can I login outside of
> futon? E.g. if I want to operate on database via HTTP by curl?
>
> I also want to ask where user's password is kept? I created more
> admins by clicking "Setup more admins" next to login link in futon.
> Let's call created user "sam". Then I went to
> http://localhost:5984/_users/org.couchdb.user:sam and there is no
> "password_sha1" field, nor "salt" field.

Normal user passwords are in the user db, but admin user passwords are stored in the config.

> Best regards
> --
> Paweł Stawicki
> http://pawelstawicki.blogspot.com
> http://szczecin.jug.pl
>

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 23:06, J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 27, 2010, at 1:40 PM, Paweł Stawicki wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Recently I was playing with authentication settings, and now I lost
>>> access to configuration of my server :( I can't login as server admin.
>>> My system is ubuntu 10.04, and I use couchdb 0.11.
>>>
>>> In /etc/couchdb/local.ini I set in [admin] section:
>>> joe = joe
>>>
>>> and restarted database. In my browser I go to:
>>> http://joe:joe@localhost:5984/_utils/database.html?_config
>>>
>>> But then I get message "You are not a server admin".
>>>
>>> How can I log in as server admin?
>>>

>> in the lower right hand corner of http://localhost:5984/_utils/ should be a Login
link. try the joe credentials there.