couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Sebastian Cohnen <sebastiancoh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: hidden fields in a document
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:37:08 GMT
I personally believe that it's a good choice not to focus too much development resources on
the authentication/authorization stuff (although 0.11 added a lot of functionality in that
area). You actually don't need all that stuff all the time and if you need it, you can add
it using a proxy e.g. - UNIX style :) But if you intent to use couch as a public-facing, one
might forgive me, "web server" it's lagging that stuff a lot. At least if you don't want to
build a fully-open application. And IMHO that's the point. Building apps with couchapp is
awesome. It's fun! But it's not a "one fits all" solution. If you need to "hide" stuff, need
strong and sort of complex authentication or business logic, etc. ... you probably want to
use couchdb as a backend data storage rather than a front-end application server. And I think
that's totally fine.

Sometimes I get the impression - and maybe I'm wrong here - that this is not properly communicated
to the users.

Sebastian