couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Wendall Cada <wenda...@83864.com>
Subject Re: Fedora js-devel
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:03:31 GMT
On 06/29/2010 06:51 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 15:32, Wendall Cada<wendallc@83864.com>  wrote:
>
>> While doing some preliminary research on building a couchdb rpm, I
>> discovered that Fedora/Centos/RedHat couchdb rpms are built against
>> js-devel-0.70.
>>
> You mean 1.7.0?

Yes, the Fedora package negates the second dot.

>> As can be seen here:
>> $ js -v
>> JavaScript-C 1.7.0 2007-10-03
>>
>> I am quite shocked that it is being built against something so ancient.
>> xulrunner-devel is at 1.9.2.4 on my fc13 workstation.
>>
> It's a known problem that no stand-alone SpiderMonkey has been
> released for quite a while.
>
> On the other hand, I don't think XULRunner versions directly relate to
> SpiderMonkey versions the way you imply.

Understood.

>> The question is, how much of a performance hit is there using this very old
>> and outdated js lib?
>>
> I think tests with SpiderMonkey 1.8 weren't conclusive about the
> performance benefit, so I wouldn't worry too much (but people might
> correct me on this).

I agree that there isn't much difference between 1.7 and 1.8, but the
differences between 1.7 and 1.9 is quite significant. But the impact on
the couchdb performance is the primary issue. A secondary issue is the
lack of some very useful functions added in 1.8 and 1.9.