couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Sebastian Cohnen <sebastiancoh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Question on selecting on reduce values
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 10:05:17 GMT
On 31.05.2010, at 18:55, Aurélien Bénel wrote:

> Good evening,
>
>> try replacing the reduce function with the single word string "_count" (Without the
quotes)
>> this will do it in Erlang, and should speed things up a lot. please let us know what
kind of difference this makes.

> Wow! Indeed! It went from 13 seconds to 1second!!!
> Maybe I should learn erlang ;)
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> Two comments though:
>
> 1. It took me some time to understand that a noeol file had to be done if we wanted couchapp
to work with _sum and _count. Is it documented anywhere?

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Built-In_Reduce_Functions

the string in the hash needs to be w/o newline as documented in the wiki. but I'll make that
a bit more explicit.

> 2. I'm a bit confused by the impact of views implementation on request time. Isn't couchdb
supposed to cache partial reduce results (like it does for map results)?