couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Sebastian Cohnen <sebastiancoh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Query about chef compaction - why would it fail silently?
Date Fri, 14 May 2010 08:40:16 GMT
I hope couchdb is not at /dev/mapper/system-var :) you need some free space, because couch
is copying all the latest, non-conflicting documents over to a new file and afterwards swaps
out the old database file with the newly created one.

On 14.05.2010, at 10:00, Chris Adams wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm a little confused by the behaviour of couchdb's compact command, and I suspect the
solution is really quite simple, but I'm still new to couchdb, so please excuse the noobish
question:

> I'm trying to compact a 5.6gb couchdb database that's been generated by chef, using this
command:

> curl -X POST http://localhost:5984/chef/_compact
>
> However, when I check the status back, couch doesn't seem to be compacting:
>
> curl -X GET http://localhost:5984/chef/
>
> I'm following the insturctions here - http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Compaction
>
> Why might it not start compacting when I call the compact command like this?
>
> The VM that's running the couchdb database is almost at capacity disk space wise, and
I'm using couchdb version 0.10.0 (I've gisted this info here http://gist.github.com/400920,
and the output from the compact commands here )