couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Newbie: Locality of Reference in Couch
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 01:01:20 GMT
On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 15:39, J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 26, 2010, at 1:53 PM, Robert Buck wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Thank you for kindly answering my last round of questions. Here is
>> another question related to Couch:
>>
>> What sort of locality of reference exists in Couch with respect to
>> retrieval of state ? Is locality of reference solely at the document
>> level, or is locality of reference also exhibited elsewhere that
>> developers can take advantage of ?
>>

> Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by locality of reference (I know it in the context of
performance optimizations)

Same.

If you're using it this way, I guess the best answer is that documents
might be very sparsely spread out across the disk in a large database
that has not been compacted for a long time. Documents updated around
the same time might be closer to the tail of the file. We really rely
on the filesystem cache to make this something we can forget about.

Does that answer anything at all?