couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Cory Zue <c...@dimagi.com>
Subject _update, XML, and POST
Date Fri, 14 May 2010 08:51:15 GMT
Hi folks,

I am prototyping an app to receive an XML POST and convert the data to
a couch object.  Based on what I've read so far it seems like the
_update method is designed to let you do exactly this.  However, I
have some questions (note that I haven't tried any of this yet, am
just basing my information off documentation on-line.

>From here: http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Document_Update_Handlers I
understand that "To invoke a handler, one must "PUT" the document
against the handler function itself (POST does not seem to be
supported)."  Was there any reasoning behind this decision or was it
just a feature that never made it?  Not allowing these things to run
on POSTs seems to drastically reduce their utility for no reason
that's obvious to me.

Second, is there a community recommended XML to JSON library to
perform the data transfer?  I've been evaluating several (listed
below), none of which seem to be highly active, recent, or well
established.  Anyone done this before and want to make a
recommendation?  I'm surprised that there's not a de-facto choice for
this.

http://www.thomasfrank.se/xml_to_json.html
http://goessner.net/download/prj/jsonxml/
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/scripting/XmlToJson.aspx