couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Chris Adams <chris.ad...@headshift.com>
Subject Query about chef compaction - why would it fail silently?
Date Fri, 14 May 2010 08:00:53 GMT
Hi there,

I'm a little confused by the behaviour of couchdb's compact command, and I suspect the solution
is really quite simple, but I'm still new to couchdb, so please excuse the noobish question:

I'm trying to compact a 5.6gb couchdb database that's been generated by chef, using this command:

curl -X POST http://localhost:5984/chef/_compact

However, when I check the status back, couch doesn't seem to be compacting:

curl -X GET http://localhost:5984/chef/

I'm following the insturctions here - http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Compaction

Why might it not start compacting when I call the compact command like this?

The VM that's running the couchdb database is almost at capacity disk space wise, and I'm
using couchdb version 0.10.0 (I've gisted this info here http://gist.github.com/400920, and
the output from the compact commands here )

Thanks!

Chris Adams