couchdb-user mailing list archives

From James Marca <jma...@translab.its.uci.edu>
Subject Re: 0.11 on Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid lynx)
Date Mon, 10 May 2010 19:19:34 GMT
On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 11:03:34PM -0400, Jim R. Wilson wrote:
> Quick question - what's the easiest (most relaxing) way to install
> couchdb 0.11 on Ubuntu lucid lynx?  Should I compile from source?
> Should I add debian unstable to my sources.list?  Should I just wait?
>
> Thanks in advance for any tips!
>
> -- Jim R. Wilson (jimbojw)

If you're *not* running Ubuntu server, but rather running some variant
of Ubuntu desktop, I'd strongly recommend compiling from source and
keeping the default prefix of /usr/local.  I am testing ubuntu on my
laptop after using slackware and gentoo for years, and didn't realize
that ubuntu comes standard with couchdb---but it ships with version
0.10.x.  Installing 0.11.x couchdb will create conflicts, and then
stuff like gwibber and Ubuntu One crash and die and or you get strange
issues with couchdb trying and failing to start as these programs fire
up, etc.  I had to do a lot of removing and reinstalling to fix that
mistake.

Because 0.11.x is in /usr/local, directly copying the

   sudo update-rc.d couchdb defaults

incantation in INSTALL.Unix will cause the /etc/init.d/couchdb version
to fire up every time, staring 0.10, not 0.11.x.  I'm completely
unfamiliar with the "ubuntu way" of manipulating rc.d/init.d, so I
just forced it as follows (just typing from memory, do not cut and
paste blindly):

sudo mv /etc/init.d/couchdb /etc/init.d/couchdb.0.10.donotuse
sudo ln -sf /usr/local/etc/init.d/couchdb /etc/init.d/couchdb

then ran the sudo update-rc.d line.

Other than that caveat, I found all of the tips on the couchdb wiki
for ubuntu to be very helpful.

regards,
James

believed to be clean.