couchdb-user mailing list archives

From James Fisher <jameshfis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:54:40 GMT
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@me.com> wrote:

> On 13 Apr 2010, at 12:12, James Fisher wrote:
>
> > Compare it, for example, with the simple design at
> http://www.mongodb.org/ ,
> > where many newbies (like me) to document-oriented DBs will be making an
> > active comparison.
>
> I dislike that look of that site strongly.

It's far from astounding, and it does have a very "templatey" feel.  But at
least it's neat and inoffensive.

> > "CouchDB is a new kind of database; it will change the
> > way you work; come with me, and I will take you on a tour of its
> secrets."
>
> To twee.

Lol, I was exaggerating for effect.  My point is many people visiting the
Couch site (myself, at the time, included; and presumably many experienced
designers) will see document-oriented databases as very unfamiliar
territory, and don't want to be barraged with terminology in the first
paragraph.  Examples of good gentle introductory promotional paragraphs:

http://www.djangoproject.com/
http://rubyonrails.org/
http://sass-lang.com/
http://jquery.com/
... etc.

> > I don't just want to criticize.  Perhaps I can help -- I have no
> experience
> > with Erlang, and I'd be much better suited to PR in this case.  AFAICT
> the
> > site is hand-written static HTML/CSS, so a redesign is not a massive
> > undertaking.
> >
> > Opinions?
>
> Get involved! The entire site is in Subversion, and patches are more than
> welcome. We've had some previous design ideas suggested, and I rather liked
> them. Unfortunately, we've never got around to doing anything with them.
> Maybe we could pick up from there, and see where it goes?

Certainly will do.  I'm doing some rough sketches now; might get something
up in the next couple of days.