couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Matt Goodall <matt.good...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: getting all revisions from _changes
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:08:27 GMT
On 17 April 2010 14:42, erich oliphant <erich.oliphant@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, so the 'versioning' in couch is really just for conflict resoultion,
> etc?

Correct.

> Once a new _rev is successfully committed the previous goes away ?

Sort of. CouchDB maintains revs of documents for two main reasons:

* Replication. The revs history of a document is used to decide what
needs replicating and if there's a conflict. These revs may disappear
at any time, e.g. at compaction.
* Conflicts. The revs of a document with a conflict are kept until the
conflict has been explicitly resolved by the application or user.

- Matt