couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: purge old revisions of documents
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2010 06:01:05 GMT
On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 05:58, John Merrells <john@merrells.com> wrote:

> Anyway,  you might consider allowing the client to specify its constraint
> requirements, rather than just enforcing the strictest constraints upon it.
> Not all clients care which revision of a document their updates are applied
> to. I've already run into this myself this week, as multiple machines were
> all trying to update the same document on a single server with identical
> content and they got into a race...

Open a JIRA ticket as an enhancement or bring it up on dev@ if you
want to start a little discussion about it. I very much like the
default behavior now. I think it's very 'safe' in that it forces the
developer to think about conflict scenarios as they design their app.
However, something like an "X-Couch-Force-Update: true" header doesn't
seem unreasonable to me. It satisfies your desires without
compromising the default. I know at least one person I've talked to
has requested this feature specifically to make DELETE easier.