couchdb-user mailing list archives

From James Fisher <jameshfis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:22:48 GMT
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:40 PM, J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2010, at 12:21 PM, James Fisher wrote:
>
> > Apalling internet connection atm.  Try:
> http://i41.tinypic.com/156aeds.jpg
> >

> I really like the simplicity.

Thanks.

> I think you will have a hard time convincing people to change the word mark
> associated with the current CouchDB / Relax logo. If you can go back to the
> old (less relaxing) font and type-setting for that,

Mmm, I do wonder how ingrained it is.  I suppose the pros and cons are:

---

Myriad (if that is what it is) pros:

* Expensive.  Possibly gives a subconscious feel of luxury.
* Already used.  If (if) CouchDB already has a well-ingrained brand
identity, it's wise to keep it.
* Presumably has a much better character set if it's ever going to be used
extensively (I doubt it).

cons:

* Expensive.  Even my own warez collection of fonts hasn't managed to hoover
it up.  I doubt many people except professional graphic artists own a
genuine copy.
* Extensively used by Apple (http://www.apple.com/ I don't think there's
much they produce that *isn't* in Myriad).  I suppose you could call that a
pro if you want to piggyback; but I don't think the CouchDB identity fits
very well with brushed aluminium.  I don't want to kick back on an aluminium
couch.
* (my own feeling is that it is) a bit too formal.  It has a "friendly
high-class business" feel (can't find the words there).  E.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myriad_%28typeface%29 mentions it's used by All
Nippon business class flights.

---

Candela pros:

* I think it looks like a couch, in a hard-to-define way.
* Free (and libre) (at least for the purposes of @font-face and any other
CouchDB literature, AFAICT from the license).
* Untrammelled by other prominent commercial use -- making it potentially
highly distinctive as "that CouchDB font".

cons:

* CouchDB community rebellion against it? (?!)

---

> and perhaps drop the saturation on the Cyan (light-blue-grey would be nice
> I think) you'd be getting somewhere.

I agree with you there, I think.  Alternatively, turn up the brightness.
Doing a bit of both helps.