couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SASL overhead (was Re: CouchDB and Hadoop_)
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2010 20:17:50 GMT
CouchDB definitely needs a bit of spring cleaning in the logging department.  If you haven't
noticed, most error messages are written *twice* in the logs, once in a very nice format by
SASL and once in a crude format by couch_log.  I believe this is because the couch_log event
handler is installed in the same event manager as the SASL error_logger, and because the second
handle_event clause in couch_log matches SASL-style error reports. So even if you turned off
the SASL error_logger I think you'd still get these messages in the log.  I've been meaning
to fix that ...

I'd prefer to keep the SASL-style logs, although I understand that we need to trim them down.
 That can be accomplished on a process-by-process basis by identifying the processes with
large internal states and truncating those states in a terminate() function just before exiting
(perhaps keeping the full state if ?LOG_DEBUG is on).  Cheers,

Adam