couchdb-user mailing list archives

From John Merrells <j...@merrells.com>
Subject Re: purge old revisions of documents
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2010 03:43:37 GMT

Thanks. I'd assumed that document revisions were kept forever (ala git)
and that compaction only changed the organization of the database,
rather than the data itself.

I think the terminology threw me a bit there, and of course I brought my
own assumptions with me, and haven't read enough of the docs yet.

I now realize that the document revisions are really just a side effect
of the implementation of the async multi master replication... as you
need them to do the collision detection.

But, then I wonder why, since they can't be relied upon to exist, they
are exposed to the regular clients, and not just the clients that want
to replicate or synchronize. Hmm, just thinking out loud there. (fwiw
i did a lot of work on ldap directories and we were careful to only
expose the replication state to clients who explicitly asked for it.)

John

--
John Merrells
http://johnmerrells.com