couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Fredrik Widlund <fredrik.widl...@qbrick.com>
Subject SV: CouchDB and Hadoop_
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:54:06 GMT

Thanks, I will! We will actually use nginx for "dumb" caching, but add an api layer in between
the cache and the couch. Also we actually need to mirror data to provide HA, and the performance
issues we're having are more about constantly replicating a large number of changes than accelerating
the reads. I'm not sure if couchdb-lounge would address this.

We did stumble upon a bug that's being addressed and we we're also provided with a temporary
work-around and it could be due to that, but with a quite modest load we periodically kept
hitting the roof of a e5520 quad-core so I'm a bit worried about the performance aspect.

Kind regards,
Fredrik Widlund

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: David Coallier [mailto:david.coallier@gmail.com]
Skickat: den 16 april 2010 18:06
Till: user@couchdb.apache.org
Ämne: Re: CouchDB and Hadoop_

On 16 April 2010 16:22, Fredrik Widlund <fredrik.widlund@qbrick.com> wrote:

> Well, we're building a solution on Couch and replication on a relatively large scale
and saying "it just works" doesn't really describe it for us. I really like the Couch design
but it's a bit of a challenge making it work, for us. I can describe the case if you like.

> Also we already have a decentralized distributed file system layer (which often is a
natural part of a cloud solution I suppose) so if we could run it on top of that it would
lessen the complexity of the overall solution.

> In any case it was a quick comment to the Hadoop question, and maybe it just wouldn't
work that way. You could in general discuss atomic operations/locking and performance implications
by moving synchronization to a lower abstraction layer I guess.

<snip>

You should look into couchdb-lounge . It should resolve most of your
"sharding" replication issues :)

--
David Coallier