couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Joe Williams <...@joetify.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2010 18:59:03 GMT

First, thanks for taking the time to work on a new site. Overall I think
the new design is pretty slick. I am not even remotely a designer so I
don't have solutions to my critiques but here are the couple of things
that popped in my head. First are the fonts, my initial thought was "Is
that Comic Sans?!". :) My second thought (possibly related to the first)
was it looks a little toy-ish. My thought is that the CouchDB site
should represent the roubust, durable datastore that Couch is.

-Joe

On 4/14/10 11:03 AM, Adam Kocoloski wrote:
> This is very nice.  I think Myriad was a good font for the logo, though.
>
> I do like the "of the web" quote from Jacob, but now we've got CouchDB "for the Web"
in one place, and "of the web" in contrast to "for the web" in the quote.  Perhaps it's best
to just have the short old-school thing after all?

> Below the fold things are a bit wordy.  I definitely like the extra space on the right
for the 5 bullet points.  Not sure what would be best on the left.  Maybe the more detailed
links under "Get It/See It/Learn It/Support It" should be down there?  But I'm no designer.

> One other thing I really liked about maadin's earlier proposal was that it gave the wiki
the same look-n-feel as the main site.  I don't know what we're ultimately planning on doing
re: docs -- tisba has done a yeoman's job gardening the wiki, there's that couchdocs thing
on github, I heard jchris was working on a couchapp -- but whatever we do, it would be cool
to apply this same theme to it.  Cheers,

> Adam
>
> On Apr 14, 2010, at 1:21 PM, Warner Onstine wrote:
>

>> I must say that I really like this design!
>>
>> -warner
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 10:01 AM, James Fisher<jameshfisher@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I invite you all to http://github.com/eegg/couchdb_web -- the state of
>>> things at present.  I've HTMLized the sketches quite faithfully, and it
>>> renders fine in Firefox (3.5.9) and Konqueror.  Opinions, please.

I've

Sure I'm

I do

--