couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Michael Ludwig <mil...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: About denormalization and keep consistent
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 20:00:41 GMT
Andrew Melo schrieb am 09.04.2010 um 14:24:24 (-0500)
[Re: About denormalization and keep consistent]:

> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 2:22 PM, faust 1111 <faust451@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>Author changes their profile document.
> >
> >>Something listening to the _changes feed notices this.
> >
> >>It starts a process querying for docs that have the old author
> >>profile, and fixing those docs. Eventually all the >docs have been
> >>updated. Then its work is done.
> >
> > But how
> >>Something listening to the _changes feed notices this.
> > know about old author name?
>
> You have to tell it somehow. You can either ninja together some sort
> of way to do it through couch or do something out-of-band to notify
> your daemon process of what work it needs to do.

Brave New World of NoSQL :-)

Faust, if you care about data consistency to the extent it appears from
this thread, you should model your data so that consistency is easy, and
doesn't require ninjaing together some sort of way to unleash an armada
of hackery-hoo against inconsistency, which thrives on redundancy and is
a dreadful enemy if given rope, as in NoSQL land.

I'm new here. Are there scenarios where writing happens to an SQL
server, from where NoSQL replicas are fed and used to serve readers?

--
Michael Ludwig