couchdb-user mailing list archives

From faust 1111 <faust...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Validate uniqueness field
Date Sun, 28 Mar 2010 15:30:22 GMT
> If you need multi-document transactions, multiple constraints and
> don't need to be distributed, don't need to shard, and don't need
> offline replication, it's not clear that CouchDB is a good fit.

I want use Couch for Web App Media portal
is couch good for me
i don`t need to be distributed, shard

i have Users, media content(audio, video, photo) tags categories
marks, and simple social network
many large files store in couch.

I have no experience with couch but i think
it give me tool for manipulate data in simple way.
schema-less + Map/Reduce query - i think its cool.

2010/3/28 Robert Newson <robert.newson@gmail.com>:
> "not every application requires to be extremely distributed" -- for
> everything else, there's CouchDB. :)
>
> I completely agree that not every application needs to be distributed.
> For applications that are relational in shape, it makes sense to use a
> relational database solution. Conversely, for something very
> relational, it makes no sense to use a non-relational database
> solution.
>
> If you need multi-document transactions, multiple constraints and
> don't need to be distributed, don't need to shard, and don't need
> offline replication, it's not clear that CouchDB is a good fit. On the
> other hand, if your application is a natural fit for CouchDB, then
> you'll also be able to scale up when needed.
>
> Bulk update used to work in the way you are suggesting and this
> behavior was removed because it cannot work the same way when you
> replicate or shard. I suspect that trend will continue rather than
> reverse.
>
> B.
>
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Alexander Uvarov
> <alexander.uvarov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Not every document requires locking. Also, not every application requires to be extremely
distributed. Developers can make a decision what kind of application is cooking, in other
words, should it scale to thousands of nodes, or just single master with many readers would
pretty good.
>> The same about transactions, offline replication not ever required. An option to
reject on conflict during bulk update would be really helpful (just use single master), but
there are obvious problems with sharding coming :(.

>> On 28.03.2010, at 18:40, Robert Newson wrote:
>>
>>> "I am wondering why not introduce locking in couchdb"
>>>
>>> It's because locking doesn't scale. The locking strategy you outlined
>>> works fine when your database runs on one machine, but fails when it
>>> runs on two or more machines. A distributed lock, while possible,
>>> would require all machines to lock, which requires them all to be up,
>>> and, of course, ten machines are then no faster than one machine. Most
>>> distributed locking protocols are blocking (like the usual 2PC
>>> protocol), the non-blocking ones are either more overhead (3PC) or
>>> more complex (Paxos).
>>>
>>> CouchDB doesn't let you do with one machine that which won't work when
>>> you have ten machines. It's quite deliberately not letting you do
>>> something that won't scale.
>>>
>>> B.

useless for most cases. Solutions like multiple docs with _id as unique key, along with "inventory
tickets" sounds insane.

msetnx operations to lock desired documents, or just lock "User" by giving this string as
key in Redis to lock whole User type. Then just try to lock "User", create your User document,
unlock. If there is already a lock, wait and try again. But deadlocks are possible when process
that owned the lock is dead and no one can release a lock.

to be extremely fast, but there are also real world problems. Awesome technology, I am crying
that such restrictions taking it away.