couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how do you manage re-indexation time of big datasets
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:38:09 GMT
At Meebo, we have to re-index when we release new versions of our
couch apps. We do this by uploading the new design documents with a
-stage suffix.

We grow our Lounge cluster so that it can support indexing a
_design/app-stage document while serving requests for _design/app.
Once app-stage has indexed completely we update app and drop the
-stage. Since CouchDB checks the actual code content of the view
functions renaming the design document does not cause CouchDB to
re-index.

We find that with multi-core systems we rarely have issues with CPU
load and disk I/O is the bottleneck for both the indexing and serving.

Randall