couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alex Koshelev <daeva...@gmail.com>
Subject CouchDB's ACID compliance
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2010 01:23:08 GMT
Hi, all!

I'm digging into CouchDB for my work and I want to understand better
its architecture and underlying concepts.

All sources over Internet (including Wikipedia [1]) describe ACID as
properties of database _transactions_. As we now CouchDB has no
transaction support in classing DB meaning -- there is no way to
execute several API calls (DB operations) even with Bulk API in atomic
way.

But CouchDB documentation [2] and many sources say that it is ACID compliant.

I understand that as ACID can be applied to individual API calls (for
example PUT or POST to some document) in the meaning that
_transaction_ is the set of low level CouchDB server operations from
parsing of http requests to data flushing on disk. And it can be
treated
as ACID requirements compatibility.

Am I right? Or ACID compliance with CouchDB means something different.

Thanks.

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID
[2]: http://couchdb.apache.org/docs/overview.html
---