couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Kevin Jackson <foamd...@gmail.com>
Subject Pagination and 'pretty' urls
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:07:51 GMT
Hi,

We have the following usecase:

- find all documents between start_key and end_key
- allow pagination with individual pages ie <prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next>
- the links to each page should be 'pretty' (ie SEO friendly)

We have managed to perform the request to retrieve the data, and we
have a sort of solution to pagination (we can do <prev/next>, but not
numbered pages).  The final point of making the urls more SEO friendly
is something that we are investigating.

Currently we use a json object as a start and end key, and we get
(sort of) paginated results.  If we fix the page size we start to get
a semblance of 'traditional' pagination.  The problem is that we would
like to have urls of the form page=1, page=2 etc and at the moment we
have page?start=[]&end=[].  As we are trying to optimize for SEO
reasons (don't ask me about this, the Marketing team are quite
demanding about this kind of thing), the start/end key url params is
not considered as 'best practice'

I imagine that this kind of pagination is a common idiom and will have
a set of common pitfalls and solutions.

Thanks,
Kev