couchdb-user mailing list archives

From J Chris Anderson <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: View Troubles
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 16:43:53 GMT

On Mar 1, 2010, at 8:30 AM, Sean Clark Hess wrote:

> We have a database full of tv listing information. I want to write a view
> that will let me say "What is playing on ESPN at 14:45?" One way I can
> accomplish this is to emit the show multiple times, on the half hour, and
> then only ask what is playing at each half-hour interval. This is no ideal,
> because it makes my view bigger (and this table is already huge).

This is the right way to do it. Hopefully disk space trends to free fast enough to support
your app. :) Probably each show will only emit a handful of times anyway, so the cost isn't
actually so high.

the alternative is to emit the start and end times, and then make up for it with a lot of
complexity on the the query side. this alternative approach will only work if you can lay
down a validation saying what the longest allowable show is, and then base your complex query
logic around it. I'd recommend the first approach instead.

Chris