couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Nils Breunese <N.Breun...@vpro.nl>
Subject RE: ANDing of tags
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 23:32:57 GMT
You might want to take a look at couchdb-lucene when moving into territory like that: http://github.com/rnewson/couchdb-lucene

Nils.
Van: Eric Jonas [jonas@ericjonas.com]
Verzonden: zaterdag 20 maart 2010 0:28
Aan: user@couchdb.apache.org
Onderwerp: ANDing of tags

I know this question has come up before, and the answer has often been
"do multiple queries and do the intersection client-side". But there
were also discussions about possibly adding this functionality to
couchdb.

I have a document archive with up to 100k documents, each of which has
a 'tags' field consisting of a list of string-based tags like so:

{ tags: ['hello', 'world', 'testing']}

I would like to let my users search for documents containing all of
some subset of the tags. For example, "all documents containing the
tag 'hello' and 'world'". It's the logical _and_ there that continues
to vex. Doing the conjunction on the client would be problematic for
very popular tags, potentially necessitating the download of tens of
thousands of documents.

Is there any reasonable way to appropriately create a view to make
this operation less painful?

Thanks!
    ...Eric