couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Nils Breunese <N.Breun...@vpro.nl>
Subject Re: rpm for lucene extension
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 11:52:00 GMT
St├ęphane Mourey wrote:

> I've install couchdb using yum, so I would like to keep the same
> installation method for the lucene extension. I googled a while, but
> did not find any rpm package available. Is anyone aware of an rpm
> package available somewhere for this? or another extension enabling
> full-text search? or must I proceed with the source? where can I find
> a easy tuto for this on CentOS or Fedora?

AFAIK there is no RPM package for couchdb-lucene. The instructions on
http://github.com/rnewson/couchdb-lucene should work just fine on
CentOS/Fedora, but like the instructions say you'll need to install
Maven 2 [0] and you may need to install Sun Java [1] (not available in
the default CentOS/Fedora repositories due to license issues) instead of
the CentOS/Fedora gcj or OpenJDK implementations of Java. You could give
the java-1.6.0-openjdk package a try, but the couchdb-lucene site says
it's tested against the Sun version.

I agree this is all much easier on distributions that do have Sun Java
and Maven 2 packaged in their repositories (like Ubuntu for instance),
but it will work if you just download and install the required pieces.

Instead of downloading the requirements directly, you could also try the
JPackage repository [2], but last time I installed Sun Java on CentOS 5
I found it way easier to install the RPM from Sun's site directly
instead of trying to build the JPackage nosrc packages.

Nils.

[0] http://maven.apache.org/
[1] http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
[2] http://www.jpackage.org/