couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jon Gretar Borgthorsson <jon.borgthors...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Websocket-Server?
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:27:25 GMT
On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM, Tobias Dühr <tobiasduehr@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi Siegmund,
> I understand you perfectly, that's just the way I would implement this
> right now. But think a year or two in the future - when all major
> browsers (excluding IE of course, but there are fallback-techniques)
> understand websockets.
> There will be many use-cases where websockets are superior to ajax and
> pushing the requests via js-ws to node (also js) to http/rest-couchdb
> and all the way back will be the way that feels awkward ;)

WebSockets are in many ways better than the things like long polling or
comet. AJAX however is NOT a hack in any way and WebSocket is not meant to
replace HTTP nor AJAX and neither can it ever do that. Taking normal
request-response communication like a DB query, that your webapp relies on,
and putting over WebSocket just seems like a bad idea. Not to mention that
you exclude 90% of corporate users with firewall settings.