couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Metin Akat <akat.me...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FIFO/LIFO accountancy
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 19:20:46 GMT

> Sounds like you have a pretty unique use case where you want to keep
> track of inventory, their prices and your current balance, but at the
> end of the day, you can just approximate all of them and manually
> intervene if something goes awry. I didn't gather that from the
> initial email you sent out. It sounds like the benefit of being able
> to map/reduce on the same database that's keeping track of your
> numbers and enforcing the rules outweighs the cost of having to
> manually track out weird edge cases when your project becomes more
> successful, if you're working in large enough chunks that you can
> assume your conflict rate is going to be low.
>
> best,
> Andrew

I may be wrong to say this, as I only know what's the situation in our
company, but as far as I know, it's not a unique use case at all. It's
how accountancy (and all financial stuff) work.
You don't get your credit card statement at the moment you purchase
goods, right? First the transactions need to be "processed" and lots
of checks to be done.
It's the same in business. We don't care exactly which apples we have
sold, as long as, at the end of the day (at the end of the financial
year) everything conforms to the law requirements. In fact FIFO is not
about actual apples. It's about money values. The governement doesn't
care which actual apples did we sell first. It only cares that we form
our profit AS IF we sold the first ones first.