couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Barnes <mrtr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Selecting part of a multi-value key
Date Sun, 21 Feb 2010 22:43:43 GMT
Hi Barry,

There are three ways to select data out of a view...

A specific key: ?key=["foo"]

A number of specific keys: keys=[["foo"], ["bar"], ["baz"]] (Which is
passed in as user data on a POST request.

A contiguous region of keys, delimited by startkey and endkey.

If you have a view where each key looks like [$type, $date], then any
docs having a particular type will be adjacent to one another.

startkey=[$type] (with no second element) will be lexicographically
LOWER than any [$type, $date] key.

endkey=[$type, {}] (the second element is an empty object) will be
lexicographically HIGHER than any [$type, $date] key, as long as $date
is a string.

Does that work for you? The result set will still be ordered by $type
then $date (although with the above startkey and endkey every record
will have the same $type)

HTH,
-PB