couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Mark Hammond <skippy.hamm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Windows installer 0.10.1
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 23:22:59 GMT
On 17/02/2010 3:09 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2010, at 10:22, Daniel Rosowski wrote:
>
>> The download worked for me today without problems. I'd still like to suggest a more
reliable approach to provide an easy way to get up and running under windows. The windows
installer is not mentioned at all in the download section on the official apache site. I'm
convinced that providing some windows binaries (installer or archive, doesn't matter) in the
download section would result in a much wider acceptance in the professional sector. As much
as I hate to say it, but I'm not alone, there are many more people having to work with a windows
box at work. It is said some even just prefer windows as an OS, but I can't provide proof.
IMHO, excluding those developers (at least at the first sight, not everybody takes a look
in the wiki) is a big drawback for couchDBs popularity.

> Agreed, but until there is an official installer, it will not be on the downloads page.
>
> The only thing preventing us from having an official Windows installer is a lack of interested
developers working on it. If this is something that's important to you, we would welcome your
contributions!

Hi Noah,
   What needs to be done before a release can be considered 'official'?
  I'm happy to help do whatever is necessary to get an official 0.11
build for windows.

Cheers,

Mark